Located in the Six Points neighborhood of Richmond’s Northside, Brookland Park Plaza Senior Apartments offers 77 apartment homes for area and RRHA seniors. The project involves extensive renovations to the former Highland Park Public School, a historic building designed by noted Virginia Architect Charles M. Robinson and built in 1909. The Mediterranean Revival building is a three-story, 66,000-square-foot, brick and stucco structure topped by hipped roofs clad with terra cotta tiles. Upgrades associated with the project include:
• New site amenities and landscaping
• Reconfigured entrances and common spaces
• Extensive historic restoration of masonry, ornamental metal and wood elements including wood windows and doors
• Refurbishment of existing elevators
• Replacement of all finishes, specialties, appliances, and plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems, including providing new Variable Refrigerant Flow HVAC systems and Nurse Call systems.
As the developer financed the project utilizing a number of funding sources including State and Federal Historic Tax Credits and HUD’s LIHTC program, KBS is adhering to requirements for HUD Section 3 hiring and is meeting the City’s MBE/ESB participation goals. The project is designed and built to achieve Earthcraft Platinum certification.